Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top 100 regional athletes through week 3

I thought I'd generate a plot so folks can easily compare regions.  One thing HQ did was generate an overall rank and rank score on the leaderboard.   I was going to do that, but they saved me a few bits of code.  For the following plot, the y-axis needs some explanation.   Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but HQ is determining the overall rank for each athlete by summing that athlete's rank for each specific WOD and using that as a 'total' score.  This actually makes perfect sense to me, but the actual number doesn't make sense to a whole lot of people.  I've normalized this score to a percentile, where your total score is converted to a number between 0 and 100.

If you were a superstar and finished first in all three WODs for a total rank score of '3', you'd have a percentile score of 100.   In contrast, if your total rank score is the highest (lowest performing) for all the athletes left, you'd have a percentile score of 0.  In theory, I think if you scored a consistent 80th percentile for all 3 exercises so far, your total rank percentile should be around 80 on my plot.  I should double check this.


Alright, I'll say it.  Adjusted for the number of competitors, it looks like Southern California has the fittest athletes.
I had previously assumed that in order to get into regionals, one had to shoot for the top ten percent in each exercise.   I would say it's more the exception than the rule, and (not hoping to start any flame wars) it depends quite a bit on each region.

No comments:

Post a Comment